Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sleepover

The kids and I were flyin' solo on the weekend, so Mama came for a sleepover.  I have to admit that I was just a little excited for her arrival. Like, 13 years old and your BFF that you haven't seen all week is coming for a sleepover excited.  I grabbed some magazines, face masks ( I think I was 13 the last time I used one of these), and fabulous flic; The Help ( thanks ang!)  We ordered in some thai, settled and nestled those babes into bed and slipped into our jammies. Though it's been a while since I last enjoyed a teenage sleepover, I can remember doing this at my teenage sleepovers; taking silly pictures.


Okay, so first one not so silly, but not bad.  We were trying to get a serious "tired" shot of the two of us and this is the closest we got.  Next one, hits the silly scale times ten. It's certainly not the most glamorous shot of me, but it completely captures the moment, so I had to share.


In an effort to get a good shot, we'd gone and got ourselves in a silly frenzy and just couldn't get ourselves under control.  We laughed until we cried. I savoured the moment, put that laughter in a bottle, and when I look at this picture, I open up that bottle, hear it again, and it makes my heart smile.

The Help delivered the perfect girlfriend sleepover movie.  It pulls your heartstrings in all directions and will catch you laughing in one moment and crying the next. Plus, it's hard to beat that smooth southern humour, uh-huh (waves finger in air).

This girl partied so hardy that I didn't hear the girls cries when they woke around 3am.  Mama heard them from the basement though. So didn't she go and warm up some milk ( expressed from the relief I needed after date night) and tended to those girls one by one while I slept soundly.  I found the evidence when I woke at 630.  This is just the tip of the kindness that is my mother. She truly exemplifies what it means to serve each other. If anyone would be the first, he must be last of all and servant of all. Mark 9:35

Let's just say it's been a while since I've gotten that much sleep, and I felt like a new woman.

When the little man woke, there was book reading, coffee, more book reading and more coffee.





We share this love together, this earthy black cup of wonderfulness. We also share our love for him. Both provided the same amount of energy, however his lasts much longer with a much bigger high.


We enjoyed a lazy breakfast pancake.


Very easy.  Throw a hunk of butter in a skillet with some mixed frozen berries. Let them simmer for a few minutes.  In a separate bowl, whip 4 egg whites until peaks form, then gently fold in egg yolks, cinnamon, and vanilla.  Plop it on top of the berries, leave on stove for 2 mins, then transfer into 425 oven for about 10 mins.


Get into some shenanigans while you wait for the magic to happen.


Flip that beauty upside down onto a plate, dust with icing sugar and voilà. Enjoy.

Recipe can be found in Mark Sisson's quick and easy meals.



We played with the kiddos in the afternoon, and I tried to just still myself and enjoy the time together. This is something I'm working on. I find it difficult to just sit and enjoy company at times, when there is someone there to watch the kids, I see it as an opportunity to get things done, and struggle with just appreciate the stillness, rest, and friendship.


I did take advantage of mom in the afternoon however and ducked out of the house to scope out a second hand store for some chairs that I would like to re-upholster some day.  Came back with some more Starbucks and found this. Melt my heart.


We enjoyed our drinks to the sound of deep dream breathing.  It was incredible. There are not even words to describe that moment. Times like this weekend, leave me wanting more. I am learning to appreciate this time little by little, breath by breath, giggle by giggle.



Just a wee reminder. Don't forget to enter the give away for a free dozen eggs from Lover's Creek Farm.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis