Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Few of my Favourite Things

So, I've been thinking lately about things that I enjoy and things that I'm thankful for.  At times I can find myself writing down things that I'm thankful for that I don't necessarily enjoy.  The two seem to find a peaceful co-existence in my journal.  I was challenged this summer when reading Ann Voskamp's book: One Thousand Gifts, to be thankful for everything.  An attitude coming from the perspective that we truly do not deserve anything, and everything is a gift.  Jesus is enough. Period. Everything else is bonus. Though sometimes it's a tough mental exercise to see things in that light, especially in North America.  Am I really thankful for screaming babies? Well... I know they are still alive. Am I really thankful for dreary rainy days? Well... it nourishes the soil. Am I really thankful for laundry piled high?  Well... I have clothes to wear etc.  I find it helpful to consciously make an effort to see gifts that I'm thankful for throughout the day.  It helps to keep things in perspective and keep positive.  Just as Maria said "I simply remember my favourite things and then I don't feel so bad".  When I truly reflect on what I'm thankful for, like Maria, it is most often as simple as raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens.  So hear's my "Sound of Music" version of my favourite things, minus all the rhythmic poetic lines.


Quiet, still mornings. The sound of scripture pages turning and the sight of steaming coffee brewing. Time in prayer with my Maker.


Check out the snow we got last night, winters back with a vengeance.


Lovely plump velvety soft cheeks.






Long hot showers. Thought I would spare you the photo of this.  Since this mama hasn't hit the spa in a while and is certain not to for some time, the shower is my mini spa trip. Hey, if you make it hot enough, and throw some eucalyptus in there, it doubles as the steam room from Scandinave. oh, Scandinave...just a simply wonderful escape from reality...okay focus! Next.


Fresh pair of socks. There is just nothing like slipping on an unworn, unstretched brand new pair of socks.


Pitter patter of young son's feet on hardwood at breaking of morning's light.  Subtle cries of baby girls stirring, ready to start their exploration of the world.


Afternoon warm drinks, good books, and chunks of chocolate.



Great friends, fellowship and fun times.







Crock pot meals. The only thing better would be if someone came and chopped everything up and stuck it in for me.  This also happens to be sitting next to another favourite thing of mine, the coffee maker.  That sweet beeping sound when it's ready may just be one of the greatest melodies I've ever heard.




A good laugh, sometimes even if it's at my children's sake. For the record, this was Levi's work.


What are a few of your favourite things? I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis