Friday, January 25, 2013

gDiaper Review



I was contacted quite some time ago to do a review on these cute reusable gdiapers and am looking forward to sharing my experience with you.  I have done some cloth diapering with my first son Levi, and also some with the twins, so i'm no virgin to the cloth diapering world. Though I wouldn't call myself any type of cloth diapering guru by any means.  The world of cloth diapering has changed so much since I initially purchased my first Bum Genius diapers in 2009. In the past, I had used the bum genius organic all in one's and microfiber diaper with inserts, so I was excited to try a different type of re-usable diaper.   There is a huge variety available now with seemingly endless accessorizing options, quite overwhelming actually.  My aim with this review will be to give you an honest perspective of what to expect with this diaper, so as to help with your decision on which diapers to invest in when considering reusables.  I'll be reviewing the diaper on a few different points.

1. Fit
2. Performance
3. Convenience and ease of use
4. Washability
5. Style


So here we go...

1. Fit
I have to admit that at first I had to get used to the unusual way that the gDiaper fits.  Counter-intuitively, the diaper is secured opposite to other 'normal' diapers.  The Velcro portion that one would normally put in the front, wraps around the back instead.  Since my 18 month old twins are just discovering the fun of pulling on those little closure tabs, having them in the back on the gDiaper actually serves to be very useful!  It took a little while to get used to fastening them in the back, and also not cranking the tab closed.  It is recommended that the gDiaper not be pulled to tight, as this will cause leaks (which it did in my case).  Once I eased up on the Velcro tabs, and only pulled them just snug, my leaks disappeared.  I also noticed when I was securing the diaper too tight, that the diaper was leaving quite the indentation on the baby's skin.  When I eased up on the fit, there was some improvement in this area, although some marks still remained, no matter how much I relaxed the fit.  The gDiaper fits very slim and trim over babies clothes, avoiding that bulky bottom look.

2. Performance
Once I got a handle on their fit, I found the gDiaper to function quite well.  The Velcro tabs with which they are secured stay put, and are easy on babies skin.    At first I experienced some leaking with the diaper, however with some amazing customer service, and adjustment to the fit, the problem was solved.


3. Convenience and ease of use.
The disposable insert fits easily into the pouch.  Although I only had two for the trial, I could see the gDiaper being all pre-loaded and ready to go, rather than switching out liners and or pouches with each change. When there was no bowel movement,  I still found it easy enough to remove the insert and replace it with a new one.  However, when there was a poop, I found this to bit more of a challenge (as my children tend to have looser stool).  Although the disposable insert fits easily into the pouch, I did notice that it slid out of position quite a lot.  This made for cleaning up messy poops quite the chore, as the poop ends up all over inside the pouch.  Still no leaks through to the outer cover, but messy nonetheless.  I believe some type of diaper sprayer would be quite handy for this job.  If your child has firmer bowel movements, then I wouldn't foresee this being a problem, but if they do, buy a diaper sprayer.

4. Washability
gDiapers are incredibly easy to wash.  There are care instructions on their site that are quite easy to follow.  I did notice some staining on the pouch even after the first wash, but as from previous cloth diapering, usually some good sun exposure helps with stubborn stains.

5. Style
These hip little diapers are some of the cutest and stylish diapers I have seen on the market. They have various styles to choose from that are sure to excite you a little more about all of the diapers that you will be changing over the course of your diapering days.  Look for a new spring line up to be released soon.

Overall, I'm glad that I was able to give these diapers a try.  The cost does seem to be a bit on the high side for getting set up with a disposable set, but a great investment that could always be re-sold after use.  I love the idea of being able to switch between re-usable cloth inserts and disposable inserts.  I think that they are a great environmentally friendly stylish diapering option.  Customer service was quick and very helpful when I had questions about the fit.  I also took some time browsing around their site, and enjoyed reading about their company history and great family ethic that they carry.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis