Friday, November 9, 2012

Spice: Arts and crafts Show Artisan Biographies






Spice is very quickly approaching with only one week to go.  If you haven't done so yet, check out the facebook page for more details.  The arts and craft show will begin on Friday November 16 at 6:30, ending on the 17th at 4:30.  Here are a few bios from those participating in the show. Enjoy, and hope to see you there!



Lori Harrington

Products:Handcrafted Soaps

Lori has been making handcrafted soap at her farm in Brechin, Ontario since 2010.  She is a busy wife and mom to three young adult children, and works at the local public library, in addition to soap making.  With a background in chemistry, she has applied her scientific knowledge to the art and craft of making soap, experimenting with many formulas to create gentle, moisturizing handmade soap.  She loves all things Victorian and country, and expresses this love in her unique soap labels.







Robin Radford

Products: Candle holders(birch bark and cedar), Fresh door wreath arrangements, Bath salts, Paper Christmas Ornaments, Preserves (jams, relishes, pickles, salsa), Pies and baked goods.

I grew up in Northern Ontario.  I was blessed to grow up with God's natural gifts all around me.  My husband and I now live in the country, raising and homeschooling our four children. I am passing down traditions of preserving God's natural gifts to us, for future generations to protect and enjoy.







Robin and Ingrid Cochrane

Products: Refined home decor objects such as lamps, vases, picture frames, tables, mugs etc.

Robyn and Ingrid Cochrane are a mother and daughter who live on a farm and love the country life and the outdoors. They both have an eye for decorating and love finding old or outdated home decor items and refurbishing them to fit into the modern day household.  










Stephanie Marsh

Products: Abstract acrylic art on canvas

Though she does not have formal training, Stephanie has always been into art in one capacity or another. It's always been something she enjoyed, but never pursued seriously until she became a stay-at-home mom. Since she moved up from the States almost 2 years ago, she has been restricted on working, so taking up both painting and becoming a Zumba fitness instructor have been the solution to contributing financially to her family. Both have given her the flexibility to stay home with her daughter, Paisley, and pursue her passions. Her primary focus creatively is bold, abstract art using pallet knives with various mediums to achieve texture, depth, and/or fluidity. Though many of her pieces are her own inspiration, she also takes on commission works as well.



Jordan Elizabeth Scott
Products : Heat pads and hot pads

  I’ve always enjoyed sewing. I’ve had a sewing machine since I was 8, I started out making small gifts for family and slowly built my techniques. I love exploring new patterns and fabrics. It’s always an adventure when I start to sew, you never know where I’ll end up.








Tahlia Coros

Products: 'Frilly' scarves, embroidery thread bracelets, bookmarks, embroidery thread covered headphones, and scarves made from t-shirts.

I am a busy student, currently in Grade 10. With all of the work assigned to me at school, I have used crafting as a break from it all. 
I have always loved using my creativity to make things. I started off with little drawings, then paintings and bracelets, now scarves! I have recently just learned how to make scarves from my grandma this past summer ! When I heard about Spice I decided it would be a good way to earn some money and I get to do something I love! 





Emilie Dugard

Products: Owl cards, Owl keychains , Owl ornaments, Owl Kleenex holders

I graduated from high school last June and I chose to take a year off and work therefore leaving me plenty of time for crafting! I have always enjoyed using my hands and doing anything from painting to making bracelets and my new found hobby, sewing and making cards!  I have enjoyed exploring pinterest's DIY section and will be sharing my love of creating owls at spice! 









Carla DeWinter

Products: Paintings and Stationary

Carla has always loved drawing and painting. She went to York University for a BFA in Visual Arts and recently has taken a few watercolour lessons. When she was little her Mom would often find her in the greeting card section of the store while they were out shopping. Her desire is to glorify God by combining His scriptures with the things that she paints, and creating greeting cards so people can pass on the blessing of God's Word.






Amber Steingard

Products: Yarn wreaths and yarn snowmen

Lover of all things creative from music to writing(visit blog here) to cooking and crafting, I'm excited to share my newest venture of handmade yarn wreaths. I've been so inspired by my many artisan friends and am excited to be joining in.  I'm so thankful for great family and friends and a loving husband to share my life with, but most of all thankful for what the Lord has done in my life and my desire is that I would honour Him with all that I have.







Janet DeBoer- ‘The Dutch Farmers Wife’

Products: soaps, linen sprays, chapstick and lipgloss, mason jar soap pumps and sock animals. 

Looking back 2 years ago if asked the question "what do you make" I would have said "nothing... I don't have a creative bone in my body." What changed all that one might ask? Well, let me tell you! It was babies, and not necessarily even my babies... it was the fact that every woman I knew was giving birth to adorable cuties and I couldn't afford all the baby showers and baby gifts any more. I figured I either had to find a new crowd to hang out with, or come up with a more cost effective gift. My solution... sock animals. They quickly became a hit, and before I knew it people started requesting them... which inspired me! I realized that nothing is difficult... just time consuming; thus sparking my creative side. Now I'm hooked on creating things... the options are endless! (Unfortunately the amount of hours in each day does have an end). I've expanded now to soaps, lip balms, lip gloss, linen sprays and more!

The name for my new business is "The Dutch Farmer's Wife", because, well... I am the wife of a Dutch farmer, Ben. We have 3 sweeties and live in the boonies (aka Lisle). Creating things with all natural products is exciting to me, and I hope my creations excite you too!

Jamie Dawn Hanson- ‘Dawning jewlery’

Products: Necklaces, earrings, hair accessories for children and adults, pixie hats, paper dolls, jewelry travel bags.

As a wee bonny lass I found myself a journeyer in the undying quest of consummate creativity. As I grew so did my great longing to create with my hands. That is precisely how I ended up being 16 and selling my own lovingly handcrafted jewelry and accessories under the name 'Dawning'. I began my business at the age of 12 and have supremely enjoyed every moment since! My products include natural stone, metal, re-purposed material, wool and 
leather jewelry. I'm positive you will love my products as much as I love making it for you!

Check out her facebook page here




Karen Dobbs
Products: Paintings and original editioned prints 


Karen Dobbs is currently completing her Fine Arts diploma from Georgian College in Barrie, Ontario.  She has lived, worked, and now studied in Barrie with her husband since they got married in 2007.  Art has always been a part of Karen's life, building up foundational skills through high school and then later through various painting classes and now through the Fine Art program at Georgian.  Her first love will always be painting and exploring the details of God's creation, but being in full time studies has broadened her appreciation for all mediums and areas of the arts, including sculpture and printmaking.
      Throughout all her paintings, she uses colour and the exploration of mark-making to portray the subject matter, be it landscape, to flowers or abstraction.  Her goal is to allow the creativity of God to work through her to share beauty and light in a dark world and she is looking forward to the changes and growth still to come in her artwork.



Debbie Eskra
Products: Scarves

I am a mother of 3 sons, and grandmother to 4 granddaughters and 2 grandsons.  Dave and I have been married for 38 years and have loved the Lord since 1986/87.  Coming to Harvest 3 years ago, has changed our lives.  God has transformed us from the inside out and we know He has only just begun.  What a joy to be on this journey with all of our family at Harvest Barrie.

My knitting began as a young girl.  Probably before I was 10 years old my Mom and my Grandma taught me how to knit.  Both of them were avid knitters so I would sit in their company and together we would knit away.  As I grew up and had children of my own, I would knit for my family.  Of course, they each had their own hand knit baby sweaters with matching bonnets and booties.  We had matching nordic knit sweaters one year when we all skied.  I haven't knit much for quite a few years now and last year I was introduced to these marvellous scarves.  They looked very intriguing to me and when I inquired as to how they were made I was pleasantly surprised to discover, firstly, that they were knit, and secondly, how easy they were to make.  So began my scarf knitting.  I now have over 30 scarves ready for sale but I have knit many more.  They have made perfect gifts for family, friends, and neighbours.  
I have taught my granddaughter to make these scarves as well.  You could say...passing on the tradition of knitting.
I find knitting something very relaxing.  I can sit with my husband as we watch a program together or I can have a sweet time alone with God, just chatting about whatever's on my mind and not be distracted by what I am doing. 

Joyce Martin

Products: Knit items and Cards

As a child Joyce learned to knit from her mother who, at 83, still knits every day.  Currently Joyce is specializing in knitting for babies and brings a variety of items to Spice as well as welcoming orders.  More recently Joyce has taken up card making and she will have an assortment of handmade cards also available.







Angie Armstrong: ‘ARA Gifts’

Products: Scarves, Cowls, Baby clothing, Cards, Mug Cozies

Angie is the wife of Mike and mommy to two beautiful littles!  She loves being home with her babes and this was the first inspiration to get 'crafty'!  It started with a mug cozy and has moved to scarves and baby clothes.  Angie is committed to making unique, handmade and affordable gifts for your loved ones or yourself of course.
Check out her blog here.



Josée Chapman: ‘Junebugs’

Products : Nursing covers, Crayon wallets, Fabric cuff bracelets, Clutch purses, ipod/ipad cases, and Aprons.

 As long as I can remember I have been crafting with my hands.   Growing up I can remember brushing my fingers along the stacks of fabrics waiting to be formed into beautiful works of art.  The colours textures and patterns, inspire, excite and enliven.  Staring at the fabrics forces me to imagine, experiment and have fun.  Although it can be intimidating to try new designs, I'm always up for an adventure!  So I will sew, and we'll see where it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis